We all love relaxing treatments, therapeutic massages! But what exactly do you know about the history of Spas? A few interesting facts:
- The term ‘spa’ is derived from the name of the town Spa, in Belgium
- In the 16th century William Slingsby, who had been to the Belgian town, brought the idea of drinking spring-mineral water in order to treat medical issues to Bath, England.
- The first Spas resort was opened by Dr. Timothy Bright in 1596 and was called The English Spa
- ‘Spa’ is an acronym of various Latin phrases such as “Salus Per Aquam” or “Sanitas Per Aquam” meaning “health through water”
- Forms of ritual purification through water baths existed among the native Americans, Persians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, pre-historic cities of the Indus Valley, and in Aegean civilizations.